The recent government shutdown resulted in significant delays for military household goods shipments, affecting approximately 2,100 deliveries. According to officials from the Permanent Change of Station Joint Task Force, these shipments had been funded to move in late September using fiscal 2025 dollars. This figure accounts for about 20% of the total 11,000 permanent change of station shipments during that period. Importantly, the number of affected shipments does not directly correlate with the number of service members impacted, as multiple shipments are often associated with a single move.
In response to these disruptions, the task force, which was established by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in May, has implemented measures aimed at improving the shipment process for military personnel. During the shutdown, the task force’s operations center and call center were heavily engaged in resolving issues as they arose. Army Maj. Gen. Lance G. Curtis, the task force commander, stated, “We were proactive in reaching out to service members that we thought were going to be affected by the shutdown.” He expressed optimism that their efforts mitigated the overall impact, noting, “I think it was a good news story that we were able to get ahead of it.”
The delays were primarily attributed to the furlough of civilian workers at shipping offices, which began on October 1, 2023. Marine Corps Lt. Col. John Naughton, the task force’s liaison officer, indicated that collaboration with military branches to reinstate these civilian workers helped resolve many initial issues.
Curtis emphasized the importance of the call center, stating that it serves as a vital resource for service members seeking accurate information regarding their moves. “Some were communications problems, and some were problems where we had to get involved with the services to solve it,” he explained. Service members and their families experiencing issues with their moves are encouraged to contact the call center at 833-645-6683 or via email at [email protected]. Curtis aims to be the primary point of contact for those facing challenges, stating, “I’m trying to be the one belly button for people who are frustrated, to help them out.”
As the peak moving season concluded in September, the call center’s hours were adjusted to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT, with plans to resume 24/7 operation on May 7, 2026, to accommodate the upcoming peak season.
The establishment of the task force was a direct response to ongoing issues related to the Global Household Goods Contract, which was worth potentially $18 billion over nine years. The contract was ultimately canceled in June due to performance problems with the contractor, HomeSafe Alliance. The task force’s efforts have also focused on resolving claims from service members concerning moves conducted under this contract.
In its six months of operation, the task force has held discussions with military families and industry representatives, engaging economists to analyze the broader moving industry. Key changes include an earlier timeframe for service members to book their shipments, now set for around April 1, rather than mid-May. This adjustment aims to alleviate stress for troops who may have received orders months in advance but were unable to schedule moves in a timely manner.
Dan Bradley, vice president of government and military relations for the International Association of Movers, remarked, “There’s nothing but goodness for service members in moving that time frame earlier into the spring.”
The task force plans to continue both the operations center and the call center, which have been well-received by service members and their families. Curtis noted that feedback from virtual forums attended by military families has been largely positive. “They told us that their ability to pick up the phone and call a service member was very refreshing,” he said.
Since the call center’s inception in August, it has facilitated 4,700 contacts. Notably, around 3,300 of these interactions involved the call center proactively reaching out to service members and spouses to inform them of potential issues.
Curtis highlighted the advantages of having a comprehensive data system that tracks shipping office operations, enabling the team to preemptively identify and address problems. He stated, “For the first time we can actually fix the problems because of the relationship we have with the shipping offices.”
Industry stakeholders have expressed support for the decision to maintain the current system for at least three years, allowing companies to build necessary capacity. Curtis has assured partners that their collaboration will be essential during this period, emphasizing the need for resources such as trucks and personnel to handle household goods movements.
With the task force empowered by Hegseth, who has authorized its operations until at least next August, there is optimism for continued improvements in the military relocation process.
